I always try to eat delicious food. Unfortunately I don't have that much money, so I have to cook a lot of it at home. But thats OK because I love cooking and I love eating at home with my wife. This is a website with my favorite recipes and a little bit of commentary.

Tuesday, November 06, 2007

Chutney

You simply can't serve Indian food without some chutney. There are tons and tons of recipes for different chutney dishes. I usually buy mango chutney although one of these times I am going to cook some up. I also buy the hot mixed mango pickle chutney which is a very popular choice in Indian restaurants.

2 chutneys that we make are the spicy onion chutney and spiced cucumber wedges. My wife made these last weekend and they are truly tasty!

Spicy Cucumber Wedges

1 cucumber, peeled and cut into wedges
1/3 t salt
1/8 t cayenne pepper
fresh ground black pepper
1/3 t cumin seeds
juice of 1 lemon

Combine everything and serve.

Spicy onion relish

1 onion, diced
3/4 t salt
juice 1/2 lemon
1 t paprika
1/2 t cayenne

Combine everything and set aside for at least 30 minutes.