I always try to eat delicious food. Unfortunately I don't have that much money, so I have to cook a lot of it at home. But thats OK because I love cooking and I love eating at home with my wife. This is a website with my favorite recipes and a little bit of commentary.

Monday, October 29, 2007

Tyrolean Hash

There is no better use for left over roast beef than making hash. I'm not trying to take anything away from roast beef sandwiches and the like, but hash is divine. This is yet another recipe from The German Cookbook.
I have modified the recipe just slightly by using diced potatoes instead of sliced potatoes.

Tyrolean "Roast" Hash
Tiroler Geröstel

7 or 8 medium sized potatoes
4 strips bacon
2 onions, minced
3 cups diced, cooked beef
salt and pepper

Boil the potatoes. Allow to cool completely and then dice. Brown the bacon in a cast iron skillet. Remove the bacon from the pan leaving the grease behind. Saute the onion until soft. Add in the beef and saute another few minutes. Add the potatoes, season with salt and pepper and fry slowly. Turn mass over, pancake style, after about 8 to 10 minutes and brown on the second side. Serve the bacon on the side or use it in another dish or give it to a nice dog.