I always try to eat delicious food. Unfortunately I don't have that much money, so I have to cook a lot of it at home. But thats OK because I love cooking and I love eating at home with my wife. This is a website with my favorite recipes and a little bit of commentary.

Tuesday, November 06, 2007

Naan at home

You can't serve Indian food without naan - a traditional Indian flatbread. I don't really have a recipe for naan, I just make up a wet dough with flour and yeast. You let it rise until it is doubled in size and then roll out pieces of the dough like little miniature pizzas. You can bake them either on a charcoal grill or on a baking stove in a ridiculously hot oven.


To make naan on the grill I usually start with 1 cup of warm water and a package of yeast. I add enough flour (usually 2 1/2 cups or so) to make a wet dough. Let it rise in for an hour or so until doubled in size and you're ready. Roll the dough out like you would if you were making a pizza. Toss it on the grill and cook on one side for 30 seconds or so, until it firms up and starts to get a few grill marks. Then flip it over and grill it on the other side. Be careful not to burn it. Then bring it inside, cut it into slices and butter both sides. Cover it until you are ready to serve it. Alternatively preheat your oven to 500 or as hot as it will go with a baking stone on the second to top rung. Bake the pieces of dough directly on the stone until they bubble up on one side. Flip the bread and cook for a little bit on the other side. The whole cooking process usually takes under a minute.