I always try to eat delicious food. Unfortunately I don't have that much money, so I have to cook a lot of it at home. But thats OK because I love cooking and I love eating at home with my wife. This is a website with my favorite recipes and a little bit of commentary.

Sunday, October 28, 2007

German Red Cabbage

A traditional accompaniment to sauerbraten is red cabbage or blaukraut. Blau is German for blue, even though it is made with red cabbage. At the end of cooking the cabbage should be deep bluish purple. We got this recipe from The German Cookbook. My wife made this portion of the meal.

German Red Cabbage

1 head read cabbage

1 onion, minced

1 apple, chopped

2-3 T butter OR bacon fat

1 T sugar

4 T white or wine vinegar

1 cup water

Salt to taste

1/4 cup red currant jelly


Melt fat in a large enameled dutch oven or other large cooking pot with a lid. Add sugar and stir until golden brown. Lower heat and add the onion and apple. Stir well, cover and simmer 3-4 minutes. Meanwhile, clean and shred the cabbage. Add cabbage to the pot and stir very well to ensure the fat coats all of the cabbage. This is very important or the cabbage will turn out mushy and pinkish in color. Cover and braise over low heat for about 10 minutes or until the cabbage appears bright purple or bluish in color. Add the vinegar, salt and pepper and braise 1 ½ to 2 hours more or until tender. At the end of cooking stir in the 1/4 cup currant jelly. Best if prepared the day before.