I always try to eat delicious food. Unfortunately I don't have that much money, so I have to cook a lot of it at home. But thats OK because I love cooking and I love eating at home with my wife. This is a website with my favorite recipes and a little bit of commentary.

Sunday, October 28, 2007

Potato Dumplings

Along with Blaukraut, potato dumplings are the traditional accompaniment to sauerbraten. I found this recipe in The German Cookbook.

Cooked Potato Dumplings
Gekochte Kartoffelklössel

2 pounds potatoes, peeled and chopped
1 to 1 1/2 cups flour
2 eggs, beaten
1 t salt
25 to 30 croutons

Cook, peel and mash potatoes and refrigerate until needed. Mix 1 cup flour, eggs and salt and add to the potatoes. Add flour a little at a time until it forms a smooth dough. Kneed dough until smooth. Shape into dumplings with floured hands, placing a few croutons in the center of each dumpling.

To cook, bring water to a boil. Drop dumplings in a few at a time and cook about 10 minutes at a simmer.

Note: You want to take these straight from the cooking pot to the table so save the actual boiling step until you are about 10 minutes from eating.