I always try to eat delicious food. Unfortunately I don't have that much money, so I have to cook a lot of it at home. But thats OK because I love cooking and I love eating at home with my wife. This is a website with my favorite recipes and a little bit of commentary.

Monday, August 27, 2007

Modified Trig Style Enchiladas

Last night we had Dutch oven enchiladas. I originally got the recipe on a camping trip from a friend named Trig. The original recipe and instructions can be found here. You don't necessarily have to go to the whole trouble of the coals etc. You can make these in the oven at 375 for an hour covered with a brief blast under the broiler to darken the top.

Last night I modified the recipe by taking out the sour cream and instead using cream cheese. I got the idea when I was reading about a new trend in Mexican food. They have been using cream cheese in enchiladas and calling it enchiladas suisa - with the suisa meaning Swiss. The swiss are famous for dairy products hence the name.

They were extremely tasty!

Since the apartment complex banned my smoker and grill I had to do these in the oven as described above. They were still great but these taste somehow amazingly better around a campfire. Just be sure that you don't get too frisky and cut the enchiladas before they've cooled a little. You want them to firm up a bit before serving - usually about 10 minutes cooling does it.
In other news, I found a Bruce Springsteen album released a couple years ago where he does old folk songs. Its great! Check out The Seeger Sessions.