I always try to eat delicious food. Unfortunately I don't have that much money, so I have to cook a lot of it at home. But thats OK because I love cooking and I love eating at home with my wife. This is a website with my favorite recipes and a little bit of commentary.

Sunday, June 26, 2005

Dutch Oven Enchiladas



I am firmly off night float now. This weekend I wanted to go camping but it is too hot out and there are numerous logistical considerations. Instead I decided to make a few of my favorite camping recipes.

We have a common friend who was named Trig. He is the only person I have ever met with that name and he was as unique as his name. I had the pleasure of camping with him once. He was a true outdoorsman. His specialty was dutch oven chicken enchiladas. He made them and I think they are the best thing ever to come out of a dutch oven. I watched him make them and over the course of the next few months we wrote back and forth with ideas to improve the recipe, making it even more delicious. Unfortunately he was killed in a small plane crash just a few days after he graduated from dental school. He is sorely missed but his memory, and his enchiladas live on.

Trig Style Enchiladas

Makes a hefty 12 inch dutch oven full - enough for 5 to 6 people

Chicken base:
Fry 4 strips of bacon in a cast iron skillet. Remove the bacon, cool and crumble. In the grease saute 1 chopped onion.
Add 1 pound of chicken, cut up into stir fry style pieces. Brown.
Add a can of diced green chilis and their juice
Spice the mixture by adding the following spices:
2 tablespoons cumin
2 teaspoons salt
1 tablespoon chili powder
2 teaspoons paprika
1 teaspoon oregano
a dash or two of pepper

Next add 1 or 2 chipotle peppers. These come in a can in sauce. Chop them up before adding. Finally add 1 cup sour cream, the crumbled bacon and 1 bunch of green onions, chopped. Stir and cook until combined.

To assemble the enchiladas:
Take 3 tortilla shells and spread them with refried beans like you would peanut butter on a piece of bread. Place them into the dutch oven, covering the bottom. Pour 1/2 of the chicken mixture on top. Add 1/4 of a diced tomato, 1/4 of a small can of drained sliced black olives, 1 handful of shredded velveta cheese and 1 handful of shredded cheddar cheese. Sprinkle 1/4 of a can of old el paso enchilada sauce over, and a few dashes of Pace Picante sauce. Make another layer in exactly the same way. To finish off the dish, place 3 more tortillas spread with the refried beans on top. Pour remaining enchilada sauce, olives and tomato over the top, spreading evenly. Top with enough velveta and cheddar to cover the top layer evenly. Bake in the dutch oven until done. You will know it is done because the cheese will be melted and just starting to brown. Also the top layer of tortillas will just be starting to turn crispy around the edges. Let it sit 5 to 10 minutes before slicing.