I always try to eat delicious food. Unfortunately I don't have that much money, so I have to cook a lot of it at home. But thats OK because I love cooking and I love eating at home with my wife. This is a website with my favorite recipes and a little bit of commentary.

Saturday, August 18, 2007

Death of the King

Last Thursday 8/16 was the 30th death anniversary of Elvis Presley. Of course being down south here it is a huge deal. I heard all about it last week. That got me thinking of a treat that my mom used to make me all the time - peanut butter and banana sandwiches. At must have eaten hundreds of the things when I was growing up. They were sometimes on plain bread, sometimes on toasted bread and other times they were grilled like a grilled cheese.

It wasn't until I was pigging out on a plateful of them in the Burge Hall cafeteria in college that I learned that Elvis also loved them. I used to grab a banana from the salad bar and some peanut butter and bread and go to town. They were especially nice on days when I was getting beat up by organic chemistry or some other nightmare class.

Lately I have been making them with Nutella - a hazelnut and chocolate spread that is similar to peanut butter.
To make one just smear a little Nutella on a piece of bread and add sliced banana.
Top with another slice of bread, butter both pieces and grill in a frying pan.
When its done cut it on the diagonal or Easy E will have a meltdown!
Suggested listening music: From Elvis in Memphis