I always try to eat delicious food. Unfortunately I don't have that much money, so I have to cook a lot of it at home. But thats OK because I love cooking and I love eating at home with my wife. This is a website with my favorite recipes and a little bit of commentary.

Thursday, January 25, 2007

Broccoli Cheese Soup

It has been good soup weather down here in Kentucky lately. My wife made a great cheese soup that she got from her grandmother. We had ours with sandwiches. A bowl of this warms you up when you are coming in from cold weather. I had a bowl after taking our dog to Steamer Cove. Steamer Cove is what I call the little pond by our apartment that our dog likes to go to leave steamers.

Broccoli Cheese Soup

2 C. carrots, thinkly sliced
2 C chopped broccoli
3 C. chicken broth
1 1/2 t salt
pepper to taste
1 1/2 c milk or half and half
1/2 to 3/4 lb. velveeta cheese, chopped
2 T dried onion flakes or fresh onion
6 heaping T flour
water

Cook broccoli and carrots in broth for 20 minutes. Add onion. Combine flour and water to make a thickening, then slowly add to broth, stirring constantly until thickened. Slowly add cheese, stirring constantly until it melts. Slowly add milk and heat until the soup is warm.