I always try to eat delicious food. Unfortunately I don't have that much money, so I have to cook a lot of it at home. But thats OK because I love cooking and I love eating at home with my wife. This is a website with my favorite recipes and a little bit of commentary.

Sunday, June 26, 2005

Dutch Food

I also made some Dutch food this weekend. I made sweet and sour meatballs in the Dutch oven. I got the Dutch recipes out of a farming magazine at my great aunt Darlene's house.

Pennsylvania Dutch Mashed Potatoes

5 lbs potatoes
1 c sour cream
6 ounces cream cheese
3 t butter
1 t salt
1 t onion salt
¼ t pepper

Boil potatoes until soft. Mash together with other ingredients. Bake uncovered for 20 to 25 minutes at 350 until heated through. Sprinkle top with paprika.



Pennsylvania Dutch Sweet and Sour Meatballs

3 eggs
1 medium onion, chopped
1 ½ c dry bread crumbs
1 t salt
2 lb ground beef


Mix it all together, form into meatballs and fry. Or do it like I do, oil a cookie sheet and put the meatballs on the sheet and bake for 1/2 hour at 350.

Sauce:
3 ½ c tomato juice
1 c brown sugar
10 finely crushed ginger snaps
¼ c white vinegar
1 t onion salt.

Put sauce into pan and boil until dissolved. Pour everything together and bake @350 uncovered for 40-45 minutes.



Muriel's Green Beans with Bacon

1 can green beans
2 strips bacon.

Fry bacon in a sauce pan and crumble. Add can of green beans with the liquid and heat.