I always try to eat delicious food. Unfortunately I don't have that much money, so I have to cook a lot of it at home. But thats OK because I love cooking and I love eating at home with my wife. This is a website with my favorite recipes and a little bit of commentary.

Sunday, June 26, 2005

Vegetable Bread

When I was at U of I, I used to go down to the Student Union (IMU) and get a sandwich now and again. They had a great vegetable bread. I decided to try and copy it. This bread makes great sandwiches.

Vegetable Wheat Bread

Makes 1 loaf

1/2 cup bread flour
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1 package yeast
1/2 T sugar
1 T dry milk
1 T honey
1 cup water

Mix all ingredients up. It should be about the consistency of pancake batter. Cover with plastic wrap and let it ferment for 4 hours.

Then add:

2 cups bread flour
1/2 T sugar
1 3/4 t salt
1 T olive oil
diced green pepper (about 1/4 cup)
diced red pepper (about 1/4 cup)
1/4 cup sun dried tomatoes

Kneed 10 minutes in a mixer. Let rise until double. Punch down and let rise until double again.

Shape the dough into a loaf and put it in a greased loaf pan. Preheat the oven to 350. Cover the loaf with plastic wrap and let it rise until it is about 1 inch above the top of the pan. Brush the top with melted butter and cut a slice down the center of it about 1/2 inch deep. Bake in the oven for 50 minutes. Remove from the oven and brush the top with melted butter again. Let it cool before slicing.