I always try to eat delicious food. Unfortunately I don't have that much money, so I have to cook a lot of it at home. But thats OK because I love cooking and I love eating at home with my wife. This is a website with my favorite recipes and a little bit of commentary.

Wednesday, April 08, 2009

Soup Nazi Mulligatawny (Indian) Soup

I've been making this soup for a while. The recipe is all over the internet and I think it originated at topsecretrecipes.com. The guy describes making a pilgrimage to Soup Kitchen International in NYC. I myself have made a couple trips there. The soup nazi has since opened a chain of restaurants called the Original Soup Man. Looking at the nutritional information on most of his soups, I believe I have discovered an error in the original topsecretrecipes.com recipe. Most of his soups call for parsnips. If you look at the original recipe, he calls for 2 potatoes and 3 tablespoons of sugar. I suspect that the recipe should have 1 potato, 1 parsnip and no sugar. The parsnips will look identical to potatoes in the soup and will add the sweetness to replace the sugar. Anyway here is my version for a pot of soup.


Soup Nazi Mulligatawny (Indian) Soup

1 quart chicken broth with enough water added to add a little volume to the pot
1 potato, peeled and cubed
1 carrot, sliced
1 stalk celery, sliced
1/3 cup corn
1/3 cup cashews
1/3 cup shelled pistachios
1 parsnip, peeled and sliced
1/3 eggplant, peeled and cubed
1/2 onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, pressed
1/4 cup lemon juice
1 roasted red pepper, chopped up (roast under the broiler for a bit)
pepper
1 t curry powder and more to taste
1/2 t marjoram
pinch nutmeg
1/2 t thyme
1 bay leaf
a little fresh parsley added at the end before serving

Combine all ingredients in a pot except parsley. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer, uncovered for 3 1/2 hours. You may need to add water occasionally, but at the end of cooking you want the soup to be as thick as thick chili. Add the parsley just at the end before serving. You likely will not need to add any salt to the soup.

Labels: