I always try to eat delicious food. Unfortunately I don't have that much money, so I have to cook a lot of it at home. But thats OK because I love cooking and I love eating at home with my wife. This is a website with my favorite recipes and a little bit of commentary.

Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Tom Hudson's Leeks

A long time ago I read the complete selection of Hemingway short stories. One of them had a main character named Tom Hudson. He mentioned in the story that he ate a lot of boiled leeks. I decided to try my hand at them. Both of us were extremely surprised by by the results. Very tasty indeed.

Trim leaks and wash real well. Drop into boiling salted water. Boil for 10 to 15 minutes until white parts are tender. Remove from water and plunge into an ice water bath. Dry with paper towels, slice in half lengthwise. Make a dressing of 1/4 cup olive oil, 1 clove garlic pressed and 1 T red wine vinegar. Sprinkle dressing over leeks. Sprinkle with fresh ground black pepper and freshly grated Parmesan.

One thing you could do different is after slicing in half lengthwise, cut into bite sized pieces.

Labels: