I always try to eat delicious food. Unfortunately I don't have that much money, so I have to cook a lot of it at home. But thats OK because I love cooking and I love eating at home with my wife. This is a website with my favorite recipes and a little bit of commentary.

Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Schlotzky's Bread

I just love Schlotzky's sandwiches. The problem is that there really aren't any within 300 miles of me. I did some research and found a clone recipe for the bread on the internet. I changed it just a touch by adding a little olive oil. Delicious!

Schlotzsky's Deli Bread (clone)

1/2 cup lukewarm water
1 tablespoon granulated sugar
1 package yeast
3/4 cup lukewarm milk
1 T olive oil
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
2 1/2 cups bread flour (all-purpose will work)
Cornmeal

Stir water, sugar and yeast together and set aside.

Dissolve baking soda in 1/2 tablespoon warm water in medium bowl. Add warm milk, salt and 1 cup flour; beat till smooth. Beat in yeast mixture and remaining flour and oil (batter will be thick and sticky, but not as thick as normal bread batter).

Oil a 9 inch cake pan and dust with cornmeal. Pour dough into pan, cover and let rise for 1 hour.

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F and bake for 20 minutes till golden. Cool 1 hour and cut in 4ths.


Labels: