I always try to eat delicious food. Unfortunately I don't have that much money, so I have to cook a lot of it at home. But thats OK because I love cooking and I love eating at home with my wife. This is a website with my favorite recipes and a little bit of commentary.

Monday, March 30, 2009

Jeff B's Spicy Southwest Soup

Last night we had company over for pizza. I made up a pot of soup and a salad to go with. I got the recipe for the soup from Jeff B, the drummer in our band. I had to change some things from his recipe subject to availability but he says that substitutions are OK. For one thing, I added a chipotle pepper for spiciness and to add a little bit of smokey flavor.

Jeff B's Spicy Southwest Soup

1 pound chicken
1/2 onion, diced
1/2 red pepper, diced
3 cloves garlic, pressed
2 stalks celery, chopped
2 carrots, sliced
1 can whole peeled tomatoes, crushed up by hand
1 can diced green chilis
1 quart chicken broth
2 t basil
1 t cumin
2 t chili powder
1 chipotle pepper, diced up
salt and pepper to taste
1/4 cup rice

1) In your soup pot, brown the chicken in a little olive oil and set aside to cool.
2) Add onions, red pepper and garlic to the pot and saute until just beginning to soften.
3) Dice the chicken up.
4) Dump everything else into the pot except the rice.
5) Cover and simmer for 15 minutes until the vegies are softening but still have a little crispness to them.
6) Add the rice and simmer another 15 minutes until the rice is soft.

DO NOT overcook the soup. You want the vegies to have just a little crispness to them when you serve the soup. I sprinkled a little shredded cheddar cheese over the top.

Labels: