I always try to eat delicious food. Unfortunately I don't have that much money, so I have to cook a lot of it at home. But thats OK because I love cooking and I love eating at home with my wife. This is a website with my favorite recipes and a little bit of commentary.

Sunday, December 28, 2008

Bratkartoffeln, German Fried Potatoes

I am a huge fan of fried potatoes. My wife made a Dutch dish tonight that calls for fried potatoes. I decided to see how the Germans would do it. In my research I came across a video on the subject.


Interesting side note:
When I watched this video I found out about a product I did not know existed - smoked salt. I am planning on making some in the very near future, perhaps when I smoke my home cured bacon. Here is a guide on how to do it:
Smoked Salt Guide

Bratkartoffeln, German Fried Potatoes
Peel several potatoes, enough to feed however many people you plan to feed. Boil the potatoes whole until they are soft. Cool and slice into thin slices. Meanwhile fry some strips of smoked bacon in a pan. How many strips you ask?

Enough so that the crumbled result will be proportional to the amount of potatoes you are cooking. It is a question of aesthetics. Leave the bacon grease in the pan. Cool and crumble the bacon. Next dice up some onion, again, an amount proportional to the amount of potatoes you will be serving. Saute the onion in the bacon grease. Remove onion from pan, leaving as much grease behind as possible.

Add butter to what is left of the bacon grease. Next fry/brown the potato slices in the pan. When they are browning a bit, add the bacon and onion back to the pan and cook a little more. Don't forget to season with salt and pepper to taste!

Serve nice and hot and tasty!

Labels: ,