I always try to eat delicious food. Unfortunately I don't have that much money, so I have to cook a lot of it at home. But thats OK because I love cooking and I love eating at home with my wife. This is a website with my favorite recipes and a little bit of commentary.

Thursday, September 11, 2008

Greek Meatballs

This is another recipe that came partially from a book. I had to adapt it quite a bit to locally available ingredients. One thing that helps is having a jar of Greek Seasoning.
The meatballs remind me a lot of one of my favorite dishes - porcupine meatballs - only more naughty and more Greeky.

Greek Porcupine Meatballs

Sauce

2 cans vegetable broth
1 cup dry white wine
2 medium tomatoes, diced
1 small can tomato paste
2 t Greek seasoning
1 t cinnamon

Dump everything into a pot and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer uncovered until the sauce thickens up quite a bit. Meanwhile make the meatballs.

Meatballs

1 pound ground beef
1 cup cooked rice
1/2 of an onion, finely diced
1 clove garlic, pressed or minced
1 T dried parsley
2 t Greek seasoning
1 t cinnamon
1/2 t pepper
1 t salt
1 egg

Form into meatballs and gently fry in a skillet. Drop into the sauce and simmer, uncovered, until sauce is nicely thickened and everything looks nice and tasty.
We had our meatballs with some squash from the farmer's market and some Uncle Ben's - NJ's favorite!

The book says you are supposed to serve with a little dollop of thickened yogurt but I forgot. It also would be really tasty with some garlic yogurt sauce.