I always try to eat delicious food. Unfortunately I don't have that much money, so I have to cook a lot of it at home. But thats OK because I love cooking and I love eating at home with my wife. This is a website with my favorite recipes and a little bit of commentary.

Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Greek Eggplant with Yogurt

My wife made a very tasty eggplant spread tonight. Her naughty mother gave us an eggplant from the farmer's market. You should serve this with a very crusty bread. I got this recipe from a book but I am living in a town of 4300 people and had to adapt a bit.

Greek Eggplant with Yogurt Spread

1 small 12 ounce eggplant
1 cup plain yogurt (thickened, see below)
1 large t Greek Seasoning (see photo below)
6 T chopped Kalamata Olives (can substitute green olives in a pinch)
1/2 small red onion, finely diced
2 cloves garlic, minced or pressed
1 t salt

Prick eggplant with a fork and bake at 450 degrees until the skin is wrinkled and it has collapsed, about 1 hour.

Slit eggplant open and scoop out all the pulp. Finely chop the eggplant and transfer it to a large bowl. Stir in the rest of the ingredients. Cover and chill. Serve with crusty bread.


For thickened yogurt, line a colander or sieve with paper towels. Set it in another bowl so that it can drain and dump the yogurt in. It will thicken up over an hour.