I always try to eat delicious food. Unfortunately I don't have that much money, so I have to cook a lot of it at home. But thats OK because I love cooking and I love eating at home with my wife. This is a website with my favorite recipes and a little bit of commentary.

Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Porcupine Meat Balls

One recipe we make a lot is porcupine meatballs. The recipe comes from one of my great aunts. They are very tasty and very porcupiney!

Modified Porcupine Meatball Recipe

1 Family Sized can tomato soup

½ cup uncooked Minute rice

1 small onion, minced

2 tsp salt

Water

2 lb ground beef chuck

2 eggs

Parsley

Mix ground beef chuck with 2 beaten eggs, rice, 1 tsp. of the salt and onion. Add enough of the tomato soup to moisten the mixture and provide the proper consistency to form into balls. Form into meatballs (whatever size you prefer) and place in a glass baking dish. Cover and bake at 350 degrees for about 30-40 minutes. Prepare sauce by whisking together the remaining soup, a healthy amount of dried parsley and the remaining salt. Add water to the mixture so that the consistency can be easily poured over the meatballs. Pour over the meatballs and bake, covered, for about 30 minutes. Uncover and bake 5-10 minutes more. Allow to stand a few minutes before serving.

The porcupine meatballs are 'modified' because we always double the sauce from the original recipe. This updated recipe is double sauced. Shown in the picture are my grandmother's famous green beans with bacon. This whole meal goes great with a baked potato. You can use some of the extra sauce for a very tasty gravy for your baked potato!