I always try to eat delicious food. Unfortunately I don't have that much money, so I have to cook a lot of it at home. But thats OK because I love cooking and I love eating at home with my wife. This is a website with my favorite recipes and a little bit of commentary.

Thursday, July 31, 2008

Beef Stroganoff

Last night we had one of my favorites. This recipe is a hybrid of a couple different recipes and it worked pretty well.

Beef Stroganoff

1 1/2 pounds top or bottom round steak, tenderized with a needle tenderizer

All purpose flour

2T vegetable oil

1 carton fresh sliced mushrooms

1T unsalted butter

A few diced shallots

1T tomato paste

½ c dry sherry

½ c chicken broth

½ c beef broth

1/2 T Dijon Mustard

Season cut up meat with salt and pepper. Dredge in flour and sear well in the vegetable oil. Set aside.

Sauté mushrooms in butter until golden. Remove from the pan. Add the shallots and tomato paste and sauté.

Deglaze the pan with the sherry and simmer until most of the liquid has evaporated. Add the broths and return the beef to the pan. Cover and simmer, stirring occasionally for 45 minutes. Add the mushrooms and continue to braise another 15 minutes. At the end of cooking add 4 T sour cream and the Dijon Mustard to the pan and heat through. Add salt to taste. Add some fresh dill and serve.