I always try to eat delicious food. Unfortunately I don't have that much money, so I have to cook a lot of it at home. But thats OK because I love cooking and I love eating at home with my wife. This is a website with my favorite recipes and a little bit of commentary.

Monday, July 28, 2008

Benn-chiladas Version 1.2

We decided to have some Benn-chiladas tonight. I changed just a couple tiny things tonight. One thing I did was to cut the recipe in half to make 8 enchiladas but I kept the amount of sauce the same. We like saucy enchiladas! I made a minor change to the preparation of the chicken and I made the cream cheese sauce in a double boiler. It makes it really easy to make the sauce without scorching it and to keep it warm. All changes received a prior Benn-pproval.

Benn-chiladas

Makes 8 enchiladas

2 ½ pounds chicken breast, cooked as directed below

8 burrito-sized tortillas

1 container fresh salsa

1 can mild enchilada sauce

1 T cinnamon

1/4 cup lime juice

1 t pepper

2 t ground cumin

Vegetable oil

One package shredded Mexican cheese

Preparing the chicken

Broil chicken for a few minutes on each side until nice and brown. Reduce heat in oven to 350 and bake, uncovered, for 20 to 30 minutes or until the internal temperature of the chicken is 170 degrees. Allow to completely cool. Shred chicken. In a mixing bowl, add shredded chicken, lime juice, cumin, half a can of the enchilada sauce and

pepper - mix well.

Preparing the Sauce

In a blender add fresh salsa, the other half of the enchilada sauce, cinnamon, and blend well. Add a little salt to taste.

Making the enchiladas

Heat vegetable oil over medium-high heat in a cast iron or non-stick pan large enough to accommodate the tortillas. Cook tortillas for about 10-12 seconds/side.

In each tortilla, add big pinch of the shredded chicken mix and little pinch of the shredded cheese. Roll up and place seam-down in a 13X9 baking pan coated with a thin layer of the sauce. You should be able to fit 8 enchiladas per pan. Drizzle the sauce over the enchiladas, spread it around with a spatula, and add a thin layer of cheese.

Bake uncovered at 375 degrees for approximately 20-25 minutes. Serve with cream cheese sauce poured over each enchilada.

Chipotle Cream Cheese Sauce

8 oz package of cream cheese at room temperature

1 finely chopped chipotle pepper (the kind in the can with sauce)

a little milk

A little bit of fresh cilantro

Put the milk in a sauce pan or double broiler along with the cream cheese. Heat it up gently.

You need just enough milk to make a smooth sauce. Add in the chipotle and heat until warm. You can add a little salt if you want. Add in just a touch of fresh cilantro.

Tonight I cracked open a BNA to accompany my Benn-chiladas.