I always try to eat delicious food. Unfortunately I don't have that much money, so I have to cook a lot of it at home. But thats OK because I love cooking and I love eating at home with my wife. This is a website with my favorite recipes and a little bit of commentary.

Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Minute Steaks

Minute steaks have always been a favorite at our house. It has been a while since I made them but last night we cooked up a tasty batch. This is a slightly different recipe than I've made before but very tasty.

Minute Steaks

4 cube steaks
1 1/2 cups beef broth
1 onion, finely diced
3 cloves garlic, minced
about a cup or so of sliced mushrooms
1/2 cup wine
salt and pepper
1 bay leaf

at the end: 1 T corn starch

Brown the steaks in some olive oil and remove to a plate. Add a little more olive oil and saute the onions and garlic until they start to soften. Add the mushrooms and stir. Saute a few minutes until the mushrooms start to soften. Dump in the rest of the ingredients and the steaks. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to simmer and cover. Cook for 30 minutes covered. Finally remove the steaks to their individual plates. Remove 1 cup of liquid from the pan. Stir 1 T corn starch into the cup of liquid and return to the pan. Cook and stir until the liquid thickens into a gravy. Pour over the minute steaks.
I like mine served on a bed of rice with some red bean sauce and green beans. Check out this junk plate: