I always try to eat delicious food. Unfortunately I don't have that much money, so I have to cook a lot of it at home. But thats OK because I love cooking and I love eating at home with my wife. This is a website with my favorite recipes and a little bit of commentary.

Saturday, February 09, 2008

Corn Bread

I've eaten a couple times at a soul food place in Harlem called Sylvia's. The last time I ate there my wife and I took the subway up to 127th and Lennox ave for lunch.

I got the smothered pork chops which were quite tasty. I bought her book Sylvia's Soul Food and we've made quite a few of the recipes. One of my favorites is her 'Cracklin' corn bread.'

Cracklin’ Corn Bread

4 strips bacon, cooked and crumbled

3 c yellow corn meal

2 c all purpose flour

¼ c sugar

2 T baking powder

2 tsp salt

1 ½ c milk

4 beaten eggs

1 c cane syrup (or substitute dark corn syrup)

¾ c solid vegetable shortening, melted

Preheat the oven to 350˚. Grease a 9X13 inch baking dish or muffin tins. Stir together the dry ingredients until well combined. Beat the eggs, milk, syrup and shortening. Add the dry ingredients and the bacon bits and stir until just blended (don’t worry about a few lumps.) Pour the batter into the prepared baking pan or muffin tins and bake for 35-40 minutes. Cool on a wire rack and serve.