I always try to eat delicious food. Unfortunately I don't have that much money, so I have to cook a lot of it at home. But thats OK because I love cooking and I love eating at home with my wife. This is a website with my favorite recipes and a little bit of commentary.

Saturday, February 09, 2008

Paul Hornung Beef Stew

My Aunt Julie always makes this great stew named after Paul Hornung. He was born in Louisville of all places. He played for the Packers in the 50's and 60's. He is famously quoted as having once said: "Never get married in the morning - you never know who you might meet that night".


My Aunt Julie got the recipe from some cookbook but she can't find it. She knows the recipe by heart and was kind enough to communicate it to us. My uncle Jeff raves about this stew and for good reason.

For our Sunday dinner we had a salad, Paul Hornung Stew, Corn bread muffins and red Jello with bananas. All were very pleased!

The only way it could get better is if I was in my uncle's basement watching the Hawkeyes beat the Cyclones and his wood stove was fired up.
GO HAWKS!!!

Paul Hornung Beef Stew

2 lbs. stew beef or roast beef, cut into bite-sized pieces

4-5 potatoes, cubed

2 onions, chopped

4 carrots, cut into bite-sized chunks

2 stalks celery, cut into bite-sized chunks

28oz can diced tomatoes

1 cup frozen peas

1-2 pieces bread, torn into small pieces

1 T sugar

1T salt

½-1 tsp. pepper (to taste)

¼ cup quick tapioca

Place all ingredients in a roasting pan or dutch oven and bake at 250 degrees for 5 hours. (Yes everything goes in raw)