I always try to eat delicious food. Unfortunately I don't have that much money, so I have to cook a lot of it at home. But thats OK because I love cooking and I love eating at home with my wife. This is a website with my favorite recipes and a little bit of commentary.

Thursday, January 31, 2008

Dutch Apple Pancakes

I've read that Dutch apple pancakes are actually a German creation. Supposedly a bunch of Germans moved to Pennsylvania and started making these pancakes. "Dutch" is a corruption of the German autonym "deutsch". I don't care. I'd bet anything that the Dutch invented it because they are the best people in the world, besides the Dutch who are living in the United States! I got my recipe from the book Let's Go Dutch.

Dutch Apple Pancakes
Hollandse Appel Pannekoeken


1 cup flour
1/3 cup sugar
dash of salt
1 cup beer at room temperature
3 egg yolks
4 egg whites
3 apples
Juice of 1 lemon
grated peel of 1 lemon
1/3 cup brown sugar
2 t cinnamon
3 T butter
2 T oil

Mix flour, 1 T sugar and salt. Add the beer and mix until the mixture is smooth. Beat in the 3 egg yolks.

Add 1 T sugar to the egg whites and beat until they form soft peaks. Fold into the flour mixture.

Peel and core the apples. Slice into 1/3 inch slices. Squeeze the lemon juice over the apple slices.

Combine the remaining white sugar, brown sugar, cinnamon and lemon peel. Save 3 T of this mixture and put the rest into a plastic bag. Throw apples in the bag and shake to coat with the sugar mixture.

Melt butter and oil together. Pour it into a 9 inch pie pan. Pour 1/2 of the batter into the plate and cover it with the coated apples. Pour the rest of the batter over the top.

Bake at 350 degrees until the pancake is golden brown - about 1 hour.

To serve, slide the pancake onto a plate. Garnish with the remaining cinnamon and sugar mixture and a dollop of whipped cream.

And now, instead of a photo, in honor of our 501st post - a video!