I always try to eat delicious food. Unfortunately I don't have that much money, so I have to cook a lot of it at home. But thats OK because I love cooking and I love eating at home with my wife. This is a website with my favorite recipes and a little bit of commentary.

Saturday, February 09, 2008

Dutch Vegetable Soup with Tiny Meatballs

I continue to be amazed by the recipes in the book Let's Go Dutch. The other night we had pizza. I like a bowl of soup before pizza because then you don't eat as much. This soup is really tasty and easy to make. The recipe calls for Liquid Maggi which is a lot like soy sauce. If you can't find liquid maggi just substitute soy sauce.

Vegetable Soup with Tiny Meatballs

1 quart beef broth
3 cups water
1 leek, finely chopped
1/4 cup onion, finely chopped
1 roma tomato, finely chopped
1/4 cup peas
1/4 cup carrot, finely chopped
1 small can mushrooms
1/3 cup cauliflower, finely chopped
1/3 cup noodle pasta of some sort, crumbled
1/3 pound ground beef
3 T ground croƻtons
1 T liquid Maggi or more to taste (substitute - soy sauce)
Salt and pepper to taste
3 T parsley, chopped
3 T leaves from a stalk or two of celery

Bring broth and water to a boil. Dump in all of the vegetables. Cover and simmer 25 minutes. Add the pasta and simmer 5 more minutes. Combine the ground beef with the ground croutons. Roll into little meatballs about 1/2 inch in diameter. Drop the raw meatballs into the soup pot and simmer 10 minutes. Finally add the parsley and celery leaves and simmer another 5 minutes. Add the liquid Maggi, salt and pepper and taste. Add more as needed.