You need this bread to make Tortas!
Recipe for 20 rolls
1 ½ packages yeast
¾ cups sugar
3 cups warm water
4 cups flour
1 T salt
6 T butter
3 to 3 ½ cups flour
1 egg white, beaten with 1 T water for glazing
- Prepare the sponge by proofing the yeast in the water with the sugar. Add flour and mix. Let sit, covered for about an hour.
- Add salt, butter and ½ cup flour to the mix and beat on speed of 2.
- Add remain flour ½ cup at a time, mixing until a soft dough forms and just clears the sides of the bowl.
- Kneed dough using dough hook for 5 minutes.
- Let rise until doubled in bulk, about 1 to 1 ½ hours.
- Divide into 20 pieces and shape each into a piece of dough shaped like a bolillo. Place onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Cover with plastic wrap and let rise 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees with the baking stone on the bottom rack.
- Score the top of each roll ¼ inch deep. Brush with the glaze.
- Bake for 10 minutes. Brush rolls again with the wash, reduce heat to 375 and bake for another 10 to 15 minutes until tops of loaves are golden brown.