I always try to eat delicious food. Unfortunately I don't have that much money, so I have to cook a lot of it at home. But thats OK because I love cooking and I love eating at home with my wife. This is a website with my favorite recipes and a little bit of commentary.

Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Pickle Loaf

When I was a general surgery resident we rotated through a VA hospital. Every day for lunch the cafeteria put a brown bag in the fridge in our office. Usually there was a sandwich, an apple and some sort of carbohydrate like chips. For the first few years I never touched the sandwiches. They looked radioactive to me.

One day a medical student started rotating with us named Wes. I started calling him mess because he was always disheveled and late. Anyway every single day he raided our fridge and ate all the pickle loaf sandwiches.
He absolutely loved them for some reason. So after a few weeks of this I got curious and tried one. It was only marginally tasty, but it reminded me of when I lived in Temple Texas and my mom used to bring a pickle loaf sandwich and an apple out to my treehouse with a glass of Tang.

Pickle loaf is pretty good in very small doses. The key to a good pickle loaf sandwich is to use at most 2 slices of pickle loaf. Also you should load the sandwich up with lettuce, tomato, cheese and whatever else you can think of. I like a little bit of Dijon and some Ranch dressing on mine.
If you are making these for my friend Easy E, be sure to slice them on the diagonal, as above.

Labels: