I always try to eat delicious food. Unfortunately I don't have that much money, so I have to cook a lot of it at home. But thats OK because I love cooking and I love eating at home with my wife. This is a website with my favorite recipes and a little bit of commentary.

Monday, October 01, 2007

Mexican Pork Loin

Last night we had another classic from Rick Bayless's new book Mexican Everyday. In the book he calls for the pork loin and potatoes to be cooked on the grill. My apartment complex recently banned my grill and smoker so we had to improvise. I did the pork in the George Foreman Baby George rotisserrie. I did the sweet potatoes in a skillet on the stove. It was a premium pork dish.


Mexican Pork Loin

1 1/2 pounds of pork loin
1/3 cup ancho chili powder (available from the grocery store - McCormick's brand)
4 cloves garlic, peeled and chopped
2 T cider vinegar
3/4 cup water
1 1/2 t salt
1 t oregano


Heat a skillet to medium heat. Add a little oil to the bottom of the skillet and saute the garlic briefly.


Add in the rest of the ingredients except the pork. Stir and simmer for about 10 minutes until flavors combine. Let cool to room temp, then combine with the pork in a ziplock bag. Let the pork marinate from a few hours to overnight in the fridge. After it is done marinating cook to 170 degrees internal temperature, either in your rotisserie, on the grill, or in the oven. Serve with wedges of sweet potato that have been fried in a skillet in oil and guajillo chili sauce - see below.


Guajillo Chili Sauce


2 guajillo chilies, seeded and torn into pieces
4 tomatillos, cleaned and cut in half
3 cloves garlic
1/2 cup water
salt to taste


Put a little olive in a skillet. Heat to medium heat. Add in the gujillo chilies and cook about 45 seconds per side, just until they start to brown. Remove from skillet and place into the blender. Add the garlic and tomatillos to the skillet. Brown and flip and brown again. Add tomatillos and garlic to the blender along with the water. Blend until smooth. Taste the sauce and add salt, a little at a time, until it is to your liking. Put in the fridge until ready to use.