I always try to eat delicious food. Unfortunately I don't have that much money, so I have to cook a lot of it at home. But thats OK because I love cooking and I love eating at home with my wife. This is a website with my favorite recipes and a little bit of commentary.

Sunday, September 16, 2007

Summer Salad

It is late summer, early fall down here in Louisville. We ate at a place called Cunningham's on River Road. It reminded me a lot of my Grandma and Grandpa's old river cabin. They served us a "summer salad" which was always called refrigerator pickles in my family. Ours wasn't quite so inventive, consisting mainly of cucumbers and onions.

Louisville Summer Salad

1 cucumber, peeled but leaving stripes of skin
1/2 red onion, sliced into rings and then cut in half
half a dozen or so plumb tomatoes, cut in half lengthwise
1/2 green pepper, coarsely chopped
1 small jar pimentos
1 cup white vinegar
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 t celery seed
1/4 cup salt
a few T balsamic vinegar

Combine everything and put into the fridge for a few hours before serving.