I always try to eat delicious food. Unfortunately I don't have that much money, so I have to cook a lot of it at home. But thats OK because I love cooking and I love eating at home with my wife. This is a website with my favorite recipes and a little bit of commentary.

Thursday, September 27, 2007

Tortilla Soup

My wife made an excellent soup last week. She got the recipe from the book Everyday Mexican. I have mentioned Rick Bayless in other posts and it is his new book. I never had tortilla soup before medical school. There wasn't much authentic Mexican food around my hometown. We had a Taco Tico but that is about it unless you count Taco John's and nobody ate there.

Hands down this is the best tortilla soup I have ever eaten. I would go so far as to say this is one of the top 3 soups I have ever eaten, period. You simply must give this a shot!

Tortilla Soup

1 large dried pasilla (negro) chile, or substitute another large chile of your choice

1 15oz can diced tomatoes, do not drain

2 T vegetable or olive oil

1 medium white onion, sliced

3 garlic cloves, peeled

2 quarts chicken broth

1 large sprig fresh epazote, if you can find one! If not don't worry about it.

Salt

4 chicken breasts, browned

1 large, ripe avocado, pitted and cut into small cubes

Monterrey Jack or white queso, shredded

Tortilla chips

1 large lime cut into wedges

Toast the chile by holding it a few inches over the open flame of your gas burner. If your stove is electric, slit the chile and remove the stem and seeds. Flatten it out onto a dry pan over medium high heat and press down with a spatula. When little blisters appear turn it over and repeat. Tear into pieces and transfer to a blender along with the diced tomatoes in juice. Saute garlic and onion in olive oil until golden brown. Remove with a slotted spoon and add to the blender. Puree mixture until smooth. Pour into a heated soup pan and stir constantly until thickened to about the consistency of tomato paste. Add broth and simmer about 15 minutes. Separately brown chicken breasts cut them into small pieces. Add them about 5 minutes before serving. Serve with cheese, avocado and tortilla chips. Squeeze a little lime over all just before eating.