I always try to eat delicious food. Unfortunately I don't have that much money, so I have to cook a lot of it at home. But thats OK because I love cooking and I love eating at home with my wife. This is a website with my favorite recipes and a little bit of commentary.

Thursday, October 04, 2007

Meatball Parmesan!

We had some leftover marinara with meatballs. I wasn't key on eating spaghetti with meatballs again so I went to an old favorite. I never ate a meatball sandwich until I was in college. My mom wasn't really into making meatballs with the spaghetti so it was never an option. The first time I had a meatball sandwich was at the Burge Hall cafeteria in Iowa City. I didn't even want to eat it but the choices were lacking that day. I've been hooked ever since.

Meatball Parmesan Sandwiches

Take a hogie bun and split it lengthwise, leaving the back attached so the hogie opens like a clam. Put some mozarella in the hogie and then add a row of meatballs. Wrap the whole mess in aluminum foil and bake in the oven at 375 for about a half hour, until cheese is melted and meatballs are fully heated. Sprinkle with parmesan and serve.
As pictured above it was made on homemade Jimmy John's style sub bread. I've been working on making the perfect sub bread and I think I'm getting closer. One of these times I'll post a full recipe with photos.
Top Sub Shops
1) Sub Shop in Iowa City. Not sure if it is still open but they had hands down the best subs I've ever eaten. They had a sandwich with capicolla and proscuitto.
2) Big Mike's Super Subs in Iowa City. Again, not sure if they are still open but it was basically a Jimmy John's clone, but a little tastier.
3) Jimmy John's. The 'go to' sub place for me. I get the #5 Vito which comes with proscuitto.
4) Potbelly. It is a sub shop in Lincoln Park, Chicago. I recently saw a branch of it in Baltimore. These are subs served hot. They are delicious but they are tiny. I always feel a bit ripped off when I eat there.

In a separate category but definately a 'go to' place when you can find one:

Schlotzky's
They serve a muffaletta sandwich based on the ones served at Central Grocery in New Orleans. I've eaten the sandwiches at Central Grocery and I hate to say it but I like Scholtzky's a little better.

Here is the ordering counter at Central Grocery. It really felt more like a grocery store than a sandwich shop.

And here is a shot of a partially eaten muffaletta.