I always try to eat delicious food. Unfortunately I don't have that much money, so I have to cook a lot of it at home. But thats OK because I love cooking and I love eating at home with my wife. This is a website with my favorite recipes and a little bit of commentary.

Sunday, May 06, 2007

Chef Julie's Chicken Enchiladas

My Aunt Julie's chicken enchiladas are my favorite chicken enchiladas. I can't count the number of times that these enchiladas have been served to mark momentous occasions. For instance, if I remember right we announced our marriage to her chicken enchiladas, we announced our baby to her chicken enchiladas. There have been countless other instances when very important things have transpired when eating her chicken enchiladas. I present her recipe ver batum below.

Julie’s Chicken Enchiladas

1 chicken or 3 pounds boneless chicken breast.

Broth from the chicken.

1 onion

1 can green chilis,

1 T chili powder

1 clove garlic crushed.

½ tsp garlic powder

½ t cumin

Tortillas

Cheese for topping

Red bean sauce:

1 can old el paso medium or hot enchilada sauce.

1 can pinto beans drained

½ jar pace picante

1 bunch of green onions chopped.

Stew 1 chicken or 3 pounds boneless chicken breast. Simmer with water to cover. Chop onion and microwave 2 minutes. Add onion to chicken in a medium mixing bowl. Add 1 can green chilis, and spices.

Combine 2 ¼ cups broth with ½ cup flour and 1 t salt. Stir with a wire whisk until very smooth. Heat on medium until boiling, stir constantly. Add ½ of mixture to chicken. Save the other ½ for topping the enchiladas.

Divide chicken mixture among the tortillas. Roll and place in a greased pan. Spread thickened broth over this. Cover and bake for 20 minutes at 350. Remove cover and top with cheese. Bake until melted.

For red bean sauce just dump everything except the green onions in a pan and heat it up. Just before serving mix in the green onions. It’s nice if they are fresh.

Tricks: I would recommend a huge amount more sauce. I used like 4 cups of liquid to 1/2 cup flour tonight for my enchiladas. You want extra sauce, seriously.
Also the baking time is a lot longer. I usually cover mine and bake for like 1 hour.

Labels: