I always try to eat delicious food. Unfortunately I don't have that much money, so I have to cook a lot of it at home. But thats OK because I love cooking and I love eating at home with my wife. This is a website with my favorite recipes and a little bit of commentary.

Tuesday, May 01, 2007

Italian Pepper Steak

I can't quite remember where I had this recipe. I think it might have been when I was in college. I ate a lot of Chinese food back then. I used to really like pepper steak and I would eat it probably once a week at least. Again, I can't remember where I had it, but sometime back then I had an Italian version of pepper steak and liked it pretty well.

Italian Pepper Steak

1.5 pounds steak of some sort = not expensive, cut into thin slices
1 green pepper, chopped
1 red pepper, chopped
1 onion, chopped
One big 32 oz can tomato sauce
2 cloves garlic
1/2 t oregano
1/2 t basil
1 bay leaf
salt and pepper to taste

Heat a cast iron skillet or similar over medium heat. When it is good and hot add in some olive oil. Brown the steak in the olive oil. When steak is browned remove from pan and set aside. Add a little more olive oil to the pan and sauted the peppers, onion, and garlic until starting to soften. Return the beef to the pan along with tomato sauce, oregano, basil and bay leaf. Cover and simmer 1/2 hour. At the end of cooking taste the sauce and add salt and pepper according to your tastes. Serve over rice.