I always try to eat delicious food. Unfortunately I don't have that much money, so I have to cook a lot of it at home. But thats OK because I love cooking and I love eating at home with my wife. This is a website with my favorite recipes and a little bit of commentary.

Sunday, May 06, 2007

Cuban Soup

We had some Cuban pork leftover and I was hungry for a spicy soup. I first had a soup like this at the Frontera Grill in Chicago. The soup I had was a soup made from beef jerky with a similar compliment of vegies. If you're ever in Chicago I highly recommend stopping by the Frontera Grill. If you can't make it to Chicago I highly recommend picking up one of the chef's cookbooks. This soup would also lend itself to chicken very well.


Cuban Pork Soup
about 1 1/2 cups leftover Cuban pork or chicken
two 14 oz cans chicken broth
1 ear corn, cut from cob
1 avacado, sliced
fresh cilantro, chopped
1/2 green pepper, diced
1/2 onion, diced
1 chipotle pepper with sauce, finely diced
4 strips bacon
1 jar pimentos
1/4 cup rice
1 stalk celery, sliced
2 roma tomatoes, diced
1/2 t oregano
1 bay leaf
salt and pepper to taste
1 t cumin

Fry strips of bacon in a sauce pan. Remove the bacon, leave the grease. Saute the onions, green pepper, celery and corn in the bacon grease. Crumble bacon and return to the pot. Add pork, tomatoes, chipotle, chicken broth and spices. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 1/2 hour. Remove from heat and add avacado and cilantro. Taste. Adjust seasoning by adding salt and pepper. Serve immediately.