I always try to eat delicious food. Unfortunately I don't have that much money, so I have to cook a lot of it at home. But thats OK because I love cooking and I love eating at home with my wife. This is a website with my favorite recipes and a little bit of commentary.

Thursday, May 11, 2006

Cheesesteaks again!

I had another cheesesteak again. I couldn't resist. I pined away for one all week long and I just had to make one. I decided to make a rating system. I used to just rate things on a scale of 5 heads exploding. 1/5 was pretty poor, you might be better off with takeout. 5/5 was amazing - must try food. I decided to make the scale a little more descriptive. I am sure I will have to modify it based on suggestions but here goes.

There are 4 catagories.

1) Ease of making, scale of 10.

1 is something like you have to dig a pit in the backyard, build a fire, bury the food and cook for several days.
10 is boiling water.
7 is you can walk a 5 year old through it with close supervision.

2) tastiness, scale of 10.

1 is not consumable by humans - dog food or shoe leather or nettles. 10 is a food that you eat that by itself gives you a euphoric feeling. This happens occasionally without any alcohol or anything else being consumed. 7 is darn good food, better than you can get in a chain joint.

3) expense, scale of 10.

10 is water from the tap. 1 is Charlie Trotters ($100 per person without alcohol, the most expensive food I have ever had). 3 is take wife out for a steak at a medium quality steakhouse, a step above say Outback.

4) Craving factor, scale of 10.

10 is I dream about it at night, during the day and spend months or even years trying to figure it out. Gino's Pizza for example. 1 is cursed food - I actively try to seek it out and destroy it. 5 is good food. I'll make a 5 at least a few times a year. 7 is a regular staple food, something that is very comfortable.

So for the cheesesteak:

Ease of making
[*******---] 7/10

Tastiness
[*********-] 9/10

Expense
[******---] 6/10 (assuming you use a strip steak and cheez whiz)

Craving Factor

[********--] 8/10

Overall (average of the 4) -

[*******@--] 7.5/10 - DAMN GOOD. Should be a bullet in everyone's arsenal.

Here's to the cheesesteak, and may your life be blessed with many thousands of them!