I always try to eat delicious food. Unfortunately I don't have that much money, so I have to cook a lot of it at home. But thats OK because I love cooking and I love eating at home with my wife. This is a website with my favorite recipes and a little bit of commentary.

Monday, May 08, 2006

Italian Beef



One of the things I miss from Chicago is the Italian Beef Sandwich.



Shown in the photo is a beef and sausage combo with cheese fries from Portillo's. Making Italian beef is fairly easy. You can make Phili cheese steaks with the meat as well.

Italian Beef

4 pounds eye of round, sliced thin, with the grain
1 bay leaf
2 T olive oil
1 T Italian Herbs
salt
pepper

Marinate meat in the above ingredients overnight. The next morning put the meat and the marinade into a crock pot and add:

1 quart beef broth
6 ounces of beer

Cook in the crock pot all day. Meat should be very well cooked and practically falling apart.

To make the meat into a sandwich you need a hogie bun and a grilled Italian sausage. You also need some Giardiniera peppers.


Put a grilled sausage in the bun and top with beef. Next put some peppers on (if desired). Ladle a little of the juice over the whole mess and eat!