I always try to eat delicious food. Unfortunately I don't have that much money, so I have to cook a lot of it at home. But thats OK because I love cooking and I love eating at home with my wife. This is a website with my favorite recipes and a little bit of commentary.

Tuesday, January 10, 2006

Tacos Al Pastor

The Mexican version of shawarma is Al Pastor pork.



It is cooked in a very similar way to shawarma - on a vertical rotisserie.



Guess what. You can make it on a BABY GEORGE!!!

Tacos Al Pastor

Get some dried Mexican chilis from the grocery store. For 4 pounds of pork, you need 1/2 a dozen. I used New Mexico chilis. They are red. Seed the chilis. Put 1 cup vinegar in a sauce pan. Tear up the chilis and add the pieces. Cover and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer 10 minutes, adding more vinegar if necessary. When this is done, place in a blender and add:

4 cloves garlic
2 T cumin
1 T salt
2 t pepper
1 t oregano
2 T olive oil
1 clove

Blend until smooth. You will have to strain this through a sieve because the chilis will leave behind a hard husk-like skin that you will want to get rid of. Meanwhile slice your pork into thin slices. I used a 4 pound pork loin roast. Cover with the paste and marinate overnight. The next day put the pieces of pork on the rotisserie and after a few inches of pork place a ring of pineapple. You'll probably need about half a dozen rings for the whole rotisserie. Cook on the rotisserie for 1 1/2 to 2 hours. Slice off the rotisserie onto a plate. Serve with corn tortillas, fresh cilantro, diced onion and if you like them, radish slices. Taste the pork before you serve it, you will probably have to add more salt.