I always try to eat delicious food. Unfortunately I don't have that much money, so I have to cook a lot of it at home. But thats OK because I love cooking and I love eating at home with my wife. This is a website with my favorite recipes and a little bit of commentary.

Thursday, December 29, 2005

Shawarma

I was on call Christmas Eve so I made shawarma in our surgery lounge 'the swamp.' It turned out really well. Everyone liked it. I served homemade pitas, Jerusalem salad and garlic yogurt sauce with it. The George Foreman Mini Rotisserieworks great for making shawarma or Turkish Doner. Tonight we are making tacos al pastor in the swamp. I'll post a recipe for that at some point.

In other news, my digital camera has died. I was taking pictures of the shawarma and it jumped out of my hands and broke into 1000 pieces. I will upload those pictures at some point. I am afraid my site will be photo free for a while until I can replace the camera.

Shawarma

4 pounds of boneless leg of lamb, cut into thin slices

Marinade:
1/2 cup olive oil
juice of 2 lemons
1 t ground oregano
2 t salt
2 t pepper
2 cloves garlic, minced

Marinate the meat overnight. Stack onto a George Foreman Mini Rotisserieand cook for 1 1/2 hours. Let cool a little and then slice from the rotisserie onto the plate.

Jerusalem Salad

1 cucumber, peeled and diced
6 plumb tomatoes or 3 regular tomatoes, diced
1 bunch green onions, diced
1/2 bunch parsley, chopped
1 good healthy amount of mint, chopped
1/4 cup olive oil
juice of 2 lemons
1 clove garlic, minced
salt and pepper to taste

Mix everything up and refrigerate for a couple hours.

Garlic Yogurt Sauce

1 small carton plain yogurt
2 cloves garlic, pressed
salt to taste

Mix everything up and refrigerate for 3 to 4 hours to combine flavors.