I always try to eat delicious food. Unfortunately I don't have that much money, so I have to cook a lot of it at home. But thats OK because I love cooking and I love eating at home with my wife. This is a website with my favorite recipes and a little bit of commentary.

Tuesday, January 10, 2006

Digital Camera--- RIP

This is the last photo that my digital camera took before jumping out of my hands to its rather grisly and early death. A moment of silence please ...



That is what the shawarma looks like when it is cooking.

Here is a recipe for making real pocket pitas. They really do form pockets. I have proof!

Pocket Pitas

1 cup warm water
1/2 t sugar
1 package yeast

Combine those ingredients and let sit until the yeast starts to bubble. Then add:

2 1/2 cups flour
2 T olive oil

Kneed in the kitchenaid mixer. You will probably have to add more flour a tablespoon at a time. You want the dough to be moist so that it sticks to the bottom of the bowl but not to the sides when it is kneeding. Kneed for 10 minutes and then cover and let rise until doubled in size.

Meanwhile preheat your oven to 475 with a baking stone in the lowest possible position in the oven. When your dough is ready, form little balls and roll out in circles to 1/4 inch thick.



Then slap the rolled out dough pieces directly on the baking stone. They will puff up like this.



Once they have puffed up flip them over and bake for another minute at most. The whole process takes < 4 minutes. It is real important to have the dough pieces be circles. If they are odd shapes they don't puff up right.