I always try to eat delicious food. Unfortunately I don't have that much money, so I have to cook a lot of it at home. But thats OK because I love cooking and I love eating at home with my wife. This is a website with my favorite recipes and a little bit of commentary.

Saturday, January 08, 2005

Spaghetti with Meatballs

With the baby almost here we have been making very simple food. I am certainly not above using canned spaghetti sauce on occasion. I like Newman's Own Five Cheese style sauce. I do have to insist on real meatballs though. I have dozens of recipes for meatballs. The basic principle is some sort of meat or blend of meats with something to make it stick together (eggs) and something to fill it out (bread crumbs). I didn't have any bread that I wanted to waste on meatballs so I used ground up oyster crackers. I also like to add a little flavor to the meatballs. Here is the recipe I used most recently, made just from stuff that was in my fridge and cupboard.

Meatballs

1 pound ground beef
1/4 cup parmesan
1 egg
1/4 cup milk
1 cup ground oyster crackers
1 T italian herbs
1 t crushed red pepper
1 t fennel seed

Mix all that stuff up and shape into balls. Place balls into a baking dish that has been oiled down with olive oil. Bake at 350 for 30 to 40 minutes, until all of the pinkness is gone from the center of one of the bigger meatballs.



I like plane old Texas toast garlic bread with my spaghetti. To make it I just buy Texas Toast, butter one side, sprinkle on a little garlic salt and throw it under the broiler to toast it.