I always try to eat delicious food. Unfortunately I don't have that much money, so I have to cook a lot of it at home. But thats OK because I love cooking and I love eating at home with my wife. This is a website with my favorite recipes and a little bit of commentary.

Saturday, December 25, 2004

A Turkish Spread

I'm a little behind. This meal was from last weekend. I have to say that of all the meals on this blog, this one was my absolute favorite so far. My wife agrees, this is the best food we have eaten in years.

Chicken Shish Kebab

Take boneless skinless chicken and cut it into pieces for kebabs. Marinate the chicken for at least 2 hours in the following mixture:

1 cup plain yogury
1/3 c olive oil
2 T lemon juice
3 cloves garlic
1 t paprika
salt and freshly ground pepper

Put onto kebab skewers and grill.

Fried Eggplant and green peppers with 2 sauces

Take 1 eggplant and peel it lengthwise, leaving a few strips of skin to create a striped effect. Slice the eggplant into 1/2 inch thick pieces. Soak eggplant pieces in salted water for 20 minutes, then pat dry. Fry in oil and place on paper towels to drain.

For the peppers, I used banana peppers that I grilled on the grill with the chicken.

For the yogurt garlic sauce, take 1 cup yogurt and add 2 cloves garlic, pressed. Add a little salt and refrigerate to combine the flavors.

For the tomato sauce, take 2 tomatos and peel them by dropping them into boiling water for 30 seconds and then plunge them into cold water. Heat 1 T olive oil. Add the tomatoes and 2 cloves garlic, pressed. Use a potato masher to mash up the tomatoes. Cook for a few minutes until the tomatoes soften.

In this picture you can see some pitas on the left side of the plate, the chicken in the center, and the grilled eggplants with sauces on the right.