I always try to eat delicious food. Unfortunately I don't have that much money, so I have to cook a lot of it at home. But thats OK because I love cooking and I love eating at home with my wife. This is a website with my favorite recipes and a little bit of commentary.

Saturday, January 08, 2005

Railroad French Toast

With the baby almost here I have had to simplify my cooking quite a bit. I was really hungry for French Toast but my wife hates French Toast. Apparently her memories of French toast involve soggy nasty bread. I finally got her to agree to eating some, but I had to make a special recipe.

I got the recipe from the new Gourmet cookbook. You can find a link to it in one of the other posts on this site. Back in olden times, when people used to take trains to go places there was a railroad called the Santa Fe. They had legendary French Toast on there so I decided to make their recipe. The preparation sounds a little strange and a little involved but it made a true believer out of someone who absolutely hates French Toast. My wife positively GOBBLED this stuff down.

Santa Fe French Toast


4 pieces of Texas Toast or other thickly sliced bread, cut on the diagonal
2 eggs
1/2 cup cream

Beat eggs and cream together. Pour over the bread, turning over to let the sauce soak in. Next heat a cast iron skillet with 1/2 inch vegetable oil in it to 325 degrees. Drop in the pieces of bread and cook, turning once, until browned. Place the pieces onto paper towels to remove as much of the oil as possible. Arrange pieces on a cookie sheet and bake at 400 degrees for 5 minutes or so until they puff up. To serve, sprinkle with powdered sugar.



I also made a Denver omlet to serve with the toast.