I always try to eat delicious food. Unfortunately I don't have that much money, so I have to cook a lot of it at home. But thats OK because I love cooking and I love eating at home with my wife. This is a website with my favorite recipes and a little bit of commentary.

Monday, November 08, 2004

Camping Food Part 2

Well its all over now. It was a great trip. The weather was perfect. There wasn't a cloud in the sky all weekend. On Saturday and Sunday the temperatures were in the 70's. We had a lot of great food and I will be post the recipes as I have time. I got to camp on Thursday night. By the time I got camp set up and the rest of the party arrived it was too late to cook anything good so we went to a little mexican place that we have eaten at before. The next morning I made biscuits and gravy in the dutch oven. If you have never cooked in a dutch oven you should try sometime. It is a lot of fun and the food comes out delicious. There are a lot of internet sites about the specifics of dutch oven cooking and how to get started. There is also a book called The Dutch Oven Cookbook or something like that. I never bought a book I just learned to use a dutch oven by trial and error and I have adopted my other recipes to cook in a dutch oven. One of the most basic things you can make in a dutch oven is biscuits. They are almost perfectly suited to the dutch oven. Add a little sausage gravy to pour over the top and you have a very filling and delicious meal. Here is my recipe for biscuits. You can make them in a stove if you want. For sausage gravy I always use Jimmy Dean Regular sausage. I like the flavor the best. Just about any recipe for sausage gravy will work.

Koko's Buttermilk Biscuits


1 3/4 cups all purpose flour
1 1/2 T sugar
2 t baking powder
1/2 t baking soda
1/2 t salt
5 T butter, cold and chopped into small pieces
1 cup buttermilk

Pour everything but the butter into a bowl and mix up into a soft dough. Flatten the dough out using a rolling pin or your hand. Sprinkle the dough with butter pieces. Fold the dough into thirds like you are folding a letter. YOu should have rolled it out thin enough for the final thickness to be about 1/2 inch. Cut out your biscuits and place in the dutch oven. Alternatively you can cook these until they are puffed up and done and just starting to turn brown on top in an oven on a cookie sheet at 450 degrees.