I always try to eat delicious food. Unfortunately I don't have that much money, so I have to cook a lot of it at home. But thats OK because I love cooking and I love eating at home with my wife. This is a website with my favorite recipes and a little bit of commentary.

Tuesday, October 26, 2004

Turkey Enchiladas

More leftover turkey tonight. I'm making turkey enchiladas. This recipe comes from my aunt Julie again. The original recipe called for chicken but I will substitute turkey. It also called for boiling a whole chicken, and used the resulting meat and broth. I did that once and it stunk up my whole house so I just buy broth and use packaged chicken now. I'm also making red bean sauce, you can find the recipe for that in one of the older posts. The last thing I am making is Mexican red rice. I tried for a long time to duplicate the red rice that they serve in mexican restaraunts. I eventually gave up. Then by chance I ate dinner over at my friend's house (a mexican) and his wife made red rice exactly like they make it in the restaraunt. I got the recipe and now I make it all the time.

Chef Julie's Chicken or Turkey Enchiladas

1 chicken or 3 pounds boneless chicken breast.
Broth from the chicken (or 1 can chicken broth)
1 onion
1 can green chilis
1 T chili powder
1 clove garlic crushed
½ tsp garlic powder
½ t cumin
Tortillas
Cheese for topping

Red bean sauce:
1 can old el paso medium or hot enchilada sauce.
1 can pinto beans drained
½ jar pace picante
1 bunch of green onions chopped.

Stew 1 chicken or 3 pounds boneless chicken breast. Simmer with water to cover. Chop onion and microwave 2 minutes. Add onion to chicken in a medium mixing bowl. Add 1 can green chilis, and spices.

Combine 2 ¼ cups browth with ½ cup flour and 1 t salt. Stir with a wire whisk until very smooth. Heat on a medium heat until boiling, stir constantly. Add ½ of mixture to chicken. Save the other ½ for topping the enchiladas.

Divid chicken mixture among the tortillas. Roll and place in a greased pan. Spread thickened broth over this. Cover and bake for 20 minutes at 350. Remove cover and top with cheese. Bake until melted.

For red bean sauce just dump everything except the green onions in a pan and heat it up. Just before serving mix in the green onions. Its nice if they are fresh.

Real Mexican Red Rice

1 cup short grain or medium grain rice
2 cups water
1 1/2 t onion powder
1 1/2 t garlic powder
1 t salt
1/8 to 1/4 cup tomato sauce, just enough to turn the water pinkish red

Dump everything together into a sauce pan and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer 10 minutes or until rice is soft. Remove from heat and let sit 5 to 10 minutes.

Actually I forgot 1 detail about the rice that I remembered when I was making it:
Put a couple tablespoons of olive oil in the bottom of the pan and heat it up. Add the rice and cook it for a little while to 'parboil' it. Some of the kernels will puff up like popcorn. I don't know if it makes a huge difference but I do it that way and it tastes EXACTLY like the rice at Mexican restaraunts.

PS COMING SOON - Camping food!!!!! Details to follow in a few days.
Your G Money Chef Loopy Dog,
Koko