I always try to eat delicious food. Unfortunately I don't have that much money, so I have to cook a lot of it at home. But thats OK because I love cooking and I love eating at home with my wife. This is a website with my favorite recipes and a little bit of commentary.

Wednesday, November 03, 2004

Dutch Food

Today I got up early. I went out into the backyard and cut down a dead tree. I hauled the cut up branches over to my burn pile and tried to burn it. It wasn't burning very well. The moral of this story is - if it doesn't burn right away diesel fuel always helps. I dumped about 2 gallons of diesel fuel on it and it burnt up no problem. Then I changed the oil on my car and raked some leaves. I need a good thick meal tonight. It is time for some Dutch food. On my trip to Iowa I collected a couple of old-time recipes. I haven't tried them yet but I have had similar dishes at other times. I also made a couple of loaves of marbled rye. We'll eat one tonight and I will take the other on the camping trip tomorrow. Tonight we are having sweet and sour meatballs, Dutch mashed potatoes, boiled rutabaga and sour kraut. The first two recipes came from this sturdy horse-looking Dutch woman from Pennsylvania.

Pennsylvania Dutch Mashed Potatoes

5 lbs potatoes
1 c sour cream
6 ounces cream cheese
3 t butter
1 t salt
1 t onion salt
¼ t pepper

Boil potatoes until soft. Mash together with other ingredients. Bake uncovered for 20 to 25 minutes at 350 until heated through.

Pennsylvania Dutch Sweet and Sour Meatballs

3 eggs
1 medium onion, chopped
1 ½ c dry bread crumbs
1 t salt
2 lb ground beef
2 t vegetable oil

Mix it all together and fry.

Sauce:
3 ½ c tomato juice
1 c brown sugar
10 finely crushed ginger snaps
¼ c white vinegar
1 t onion salt.

Put sauce into pan and boil until dissolved. Pour everything together and bake @350 uncovered for 40-45 minutes.

To make boiled rutabagas I peel the wax and skin off, cut it up into 1 inch cubes and boil in salted water until it is soft. I drain the rutabaga, add 1 T butter and a little salt.

I am also making up some pumpkin cupcakes to take on the camping trip.

Pumpkin Chip Cupcakes

1 c all purpose flour
¾ c whole wheat flour
1 t baking powder
1 t baking soda
½ t salt
½ t cinnamon
¼ t nutmeg
2 eggs
1 c canned pumpkin
½ c vegetable oil
½ c honey
1/3 c water
½ c chopped walnuts
1 c mini chocolate chips

Mix the above and fill into cups. Bake at 350 for 20 – 25 minutes until toothpick comes out clean.

For frosting:

8 oz cream cheese
¼ c butter
1 t vanilla
2 c powdered sugar

Beat everything together until smooth.