I always try to eat delicious food. Unfortunately I don't have that much money, so I have to cook a lot of it at home. But thats OK because I love cooking and I love eating at home with my wife. This is a website with my favorite recipes and a little bit of commentary.

Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Spare Rib Challenge

I love ribs and all types of pork. It is getting a little too cold out for me to throw ribs on the smoker too many more times. In order to continue enjoying ribs over the winter I have decided to have a little spare rib challenge. The first 2 contestants were Sylvia's World Famous Talked About Spare Ribs and the Chinese Spare Ribs from Potsticker Chronicles. You can see each recipe below or just click on the links above.

It was a fierce competition and both recipes produced awesome spare ribs. The Chinese Spare Ribs were sweet with a little bit of smokiness. The sauce was complex and delicious. There are notes of ginger, garlic, honey and sesame that blend perfectly for a tasty sauce.

The Sylvia's were spicy but they weren't hot like I was expecting. They were tangy and fall-off-the-bone tender. I think the real trick to these ribs is that they are braised in vinegar. The sauce has a hint of celery and lemon. It has the perfect balance between hot, sweet and sour.

It was a tough competition with fierce competitors. There was, however, a clear winner. The Sylvia's World Famous Talked About Spareribs lived up to the name. I plan on making these all winter long. If you have a spare rib recipe for me to try, email it to plasticsmatch@hotmail.com.