I always try to eat delicious food. Unfortunately I don't have that much money, so I have to cook a lot of it at home. But thats OK because I love cooking and I love eating at home with my wife. This is a website with my favorite recipes and a little bit of commentary.

Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Homemade Applesauce

Its the season to make some applesauce and apple butter. Watch the stores for deals on apples. I made up a big batch of sauce yesterday. I like a nice mix of apples to make an interesting flavor. I also like to run the cooked sauce through a strainer for a nice smooth texture. If you like chunky applesauce more power to you. Chunky applesauce is easier because there is one less step.

Homemade Applesauce

1 pound of a mix of different apples, peeled, cored and cut into chunks
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 t cinnamon
2 T brandy

Add everything except the brandy to a pot. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer 15 minutes. Remove the lid and mash a little with a potato masher. Continue to simmer, uncovered, until sauce thickens up. Add the brandy and cook 1 more minute.

If you have more than a pound of apples you can just multiply the recipe.

Labels: