I always try to eat delicious food. Unfortunately I don't have that much money, so I have to cook a lot of it at home. But thats OK because I love cooking and I love eating at home with my wife. This is a website with my favorite recipes and a little bit of commentary.

Wednesday, March 05, 2008

Reuben Sandwiches

I learned recently that there is a lot of controversy as to where the reuben sandwich was invented. Apparently there is mounting evidence that it was actually invented in Omaha, Nebraska! You can read all about it by clicking the above link.

When I was in college we used to eat at Burge Hall in the cafeteria.
They served reubens that were a lot like my mom's - corned beef with kraut on pumpernickel bread. They added Thousand Island Dressing for a sauce. I used to get a couple of those and a bowl of Campbell's Bean with Bacon soup. Our dorm room smelled great on those days.

I made some homemade Russian dressing (see recipe below) and whipped up some Reubens. We got some Boar's Head corned beef at the grocery store, some kraut and some swiss cheese. The Boar's Head is actually quite good. For old time's sake I had a bowl of bean soup.

Labels: