I always try to eat delicious food. Unfortunately I don't have that much money, so I have to cook a lot of it at home. But thats OK because I love cooking and I love eating at home with my wife. This is a website with my favorite recipes and a little bit of commentary.

Thursday, January 31, 2008

Sichuan Beef

I continued to be amazed by the recipes in the book Potsticker Chronicles. My wife made one of her favorite Chinese dishes - Sichuan Beef. This style of Chinese food is from Southwest China in the Sichuan province.

Sichuan Beef

1 pound beef, trimmed of fat
1 egg white
3 T corn starch

Sauce
1/2 cup chicken broth
3 T soy sauce
1 T sherry
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 t freshly minced ginger
1 t sugar
1 1/2 t sesame oil
1/2 t ground pepper

vegies
3 carrots, thinkly sliced into 2 inch julienned pieces
4 celery stalks, thinly sliced lengthwise into 2 inch lon julienne strips
4 green onions sliced into 1/2 inch pieces
1 T cornstarch mixed with 3 T water

Cut the beef into 3 inch long, 1 inch wide and 1/8th inch thick pieces. Combine the egg white and cornstarch into a batter. Drop in the beef to coat really well. Fry the beef in oil in batches until just done.

Combine sauce ingredients in a saucepan and bring to a boil, remove from heat.

In a wok, heat some oil. Stir fry the vegies for about 3 minutes until they just start to soften - about 3 minutes. Add the beef and stir fry for 1 minute.

Next add the sauce and bring to a boil. Finally stir in the corn starch and water and cook just until the sauce thickens. Serve with rice and some garlic chili sauce.